Warning: this advert is not valid anymore. ()
Scientific Software Engineer – Time Metrology H/F
|Workplace||SEVRES (92-Ile de France), Pavillon de Breteuil, Ile-de-France, France|
The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) is an intergovernmental organization whose mandate is to provide the basis for a coherent system of measurements throughout the world, traceable to the International System of Units (SI).
The BIPM is based in Sèvres, in the outskirts of Paris (France), and has an international staff of about 70. Further information can be found on ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bipm.org%2Ffr%2Fhome&module=jobs&id=32334" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.bipm.org/fr/home
The BIPM seeks to recruit a Software Engineer with knowledge in scientific algorithms and software development to support the generation and publication of the timing products within the Time Department.
Post Title: Scientific Software Engineer
Grade: A7 (based on qualifications and experience)
Deadline for applications: 10 June 2022 to recruitmentbipm.org
Envisaged starting date: 1st September 2022
Type of contract: 5-year contract - Full-time (Tenure possibility)
Location: Sèvres (a suburb of Paris) - France
The Time Department computes and disseminates the international reference time scale Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and provides traceability to the international system of units (SI) to local realizations of UTC maintained in national institutes. For this work, the Time Department collaborates with about 80 Time laboratories worldwide, develops algorithms and specific software for the analysis of atomic clock and time transfer measures, and has a laboratory equipped for the characterization of GNSS time transfer equipment.
Principal duties and responsibilities.
Reporting to the Director of the Time Department, the successful applicant will:
▪ Take part in the routine generation, validation, and dissemination of UTC and rapid UTC and associated services of the Department, according to an agreed weekly and monthly schedule.
▪ Proactively support the maintenance, progress, and improvement of the software used for the calculation of UTC and rapid UTC, including its validation, documentation, and version control.
▪ Participate in the development of software and data analysis tools for the time transfer based on GNSS measurements.
▪ Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the information on the BIPM ftp server, website, and databases.
▪ Initiate exchanges with and respond to national laboratories including support for their
contribution to UTC and rapid UTC. Maintain mailing lists, exchange email, and distribute
documents as required.
▪ Master’s degree/Engineer diploma or equivalent qualification in technical fields related to science, engineering, or mathematics (diploma obtained at least at the time of the starting date).
▪ Work experience particularly in data analysis, metrology, geodesy, the application of mathematical methods, and scientific software development will be considered as an asset.
Skills and competencies
▪ Technical skills in computing algorithms and software languages as Fortran, Perl, Unix shell script, MySQL, Python and MATLAB.
▪ Good oral and written communication skills, in English and in French.
▪ Sense of commitment, rigor, precision and a proactive approach on attaining objectives
▪ Capacity of attentive result validation and scrupulous analysis.
▪ Flexibility, reliability, autonomy, honesty, willingness to work as part of a team, and collaborative ability.
▪ Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to maintain effective working relationships inside and outside the organization.
Terms of Employment.
▪ Full-time 5-year fixed-term contract, with tenure possibility.
▪ 6-month initial probationary period, renewable once.
▪ Annual gross salary: from 41 799 Euros (Grade 7-1) to 44 332 Euros (Grade 7-5), depending on qualifications and experience. Additional allowances, including expatriation ones, on eligibility.
▪ Salaries and allowances exempt from income tax in France.
▪ Minimum of 30 working days’ vacation per year.
▪ The BIPM provides a contributory pension scheme and private health insurance for staff which can be extended to cover dependents.
More information on the Benefits & General Conditions of Employment at the BIPM:
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bipm.org%2Fen%2Fopportunities&module=jobs&id=32334" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.bipm.org/en/opportunities
Contact and Address
Please send a C.V. and a covering letter (in French or English)
to recruitmentbipm.org by midnight, Paris time, on 10 June 2022.
Applications should include the names of two persons who can comment on the applicant’s suitability for the post (who will only be contacted with the prior permission of the candidate).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. They may be invited to take part in a distance written test and/or in a remote interview as part of the selection process, scheduled to start in June 2022. Thereafter, successful candidates will be invited to a face-to-face interview. The selection process may be modified according to the evolution of the current health crisis and the corresponding containment measures.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for this post because of this selection process.
The BIPM retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a different grade, to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a different duration than the one indicated in this vacancy announcement.
Warning: this advert is not valid anymore. ()
In your application, please refer to myScience.fr and reference JobID 32334.